Stalling once linear system becomes a certain size

David Knezevic dave.knez at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 04:52:30 CDT 2008

Hello,

I am trying to run a PETSc code on a parallel machine (it may be
relevant that each node contains four AMD Opteron Quad-Core 64-bit
processors (16 cores in all) as an SMP unit with 32GB of memory) and I'm
observing some behaviour I don't understand.

I'm using PETSC_COMM_SELF in order to construct the same matrix on each
processor (and solve the system with a different right-hand side vector
on each processor), and when each linear system is around 315x315
(block-sparse), then each linear system is solved very quickly on each
processor (approx 7x10^{-4} seconds), but when I increase the size of
the linear system to 350x350 (or larger), the linear solves completely
stall. I've tried a number of different solvers and preconditioners, but
nothing seems to help. Also, this code has worked very well on other
machines, although the machines I have used it on before have not had
this architecture in which each node is an SMP unit. I was wondering if
you have observed this kind of issue before?

I'm using PETSc 2.3.3, compiled with the Intel 10.1 compiler.

Thanks very much,
David