Slow assembly

John R. Wicks jwicks at cs.brown.edu
Sun Oct 28 15:21:16 CDT 2007

I ran on a smaller example with the -info switch set.  I preallocated all my
matrices (there are two of them, one sequential and one distributed) so that
there should be no allocs needed, but I notice it reports: something like:
[3] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Matrix size: 11 X 11; storage space: 10
unneeded,11 used
[3] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Number of mallocs during MatSetValues() is 0
[3] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Maximum nonzeros in any row is 1
[1] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Matrix size: 10 X 10; storage space: 13
unneeded,10 used
[1] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Number of mallocs during MatSetValues() is 0
[1] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Maximum nonzeros in any row is 1
[2] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Matrix size: 11 X 11; storage space: 22
unneeded,11 used
[2] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Number of mallocs during MatSetValues() is 0
[2] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Maximum nonzeros in any row is 1
[5] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Matrix size: 10 X 10; storage space: 9
unneeded,10 used
[5] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Number of mallocs during MatSetValues() is 0
[5] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Maximum nonzeros in any row is 1
[4] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Matrix size: 9 X 9; storage space: 13
unneeded,9 used
[4] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Number of mallocs during MatSetValues() is 0
[4] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Maximum nonzeros in any row is 1
[0] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Matrix size: 11 X 11; storage space: 19
unneeded,11 used
[0] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Number of mallocs during MatSetValues() is 0
[0] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Maximum nonzeros in any row is 1
[6] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Matrix size: 10 X 10; storage space: 17
unneeded,10 used
[6] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Number of mallocs during MatSetValues() is 0
[6] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Maximum nonzeros in any row is 1
[2] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Matrix size: 11 X 11; storage space: 115
unneeded,31 used
[2] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Number of mallocs during MatSetValues() is 9
[2] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Maximum nonzeros in any row is 5
[5] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Matrix size: 10 X 10; storage space: 67
unneeded,18 used
[5] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Number of mallocs during MatSetValues() is 5
[5] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Maximum nonzeros in any row is 3
[0] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Matrix size: 11 X 11; storage space: 88
unneeded,28 used
[0] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Number of mallocs during MatSetValues() is 7
[0] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Maximum nonzeros in any row is 5

I can't figure why it should allocate anything, b/c I've precomputed the
number of entries in each row.