Slow assembly

John R. Wicks jwicks at cs.brown.edu
Fri Oct 26 14:49:04 CDT 2007

I have confirmed that I am calling MatSetValues() for local rows only and am
only setting each value exactly once.

Because of how the matrix was partitioned for another non-Petsc program,
each partition is partitioned (by columns) into 32 blocks (corresponding to
the row partitions).  I enter the data for each block one row at a time,
i.e., for any one SetValues call, the entries are sorted by increasing
column index.  Does that mean I can use
MatrixSetOption(A,MAT_COLUMNS_SORTED).  Should that help?

P.S.: I tried it, and it still seems to be taking quite a long time.