General Question about Linear Solvers

Manav Bhatia manav at u.washington.edu
Tue Mar 6 15:28:37 CST 2007

Hi

    I have an application where a linear system of equations has to be
solved for many right hand sides. I am curious to know about how the
different solvers compare with each other for such a case?
`   So far, I have only used the LU decompositionm, where, once
decomposed,
the factorization can be use each time. I have been solving small systems
so far, hence, cost of factorization has not been my concern. However, I
will be moving towards much larger problems, requiring parallel
processing.
    I would greatly appreciate if someone could comment on this.

Thanks,
Manav Bhatia
PhD Candidate
Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Guggenheim Building
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-2400

Ph (O) (206) 685 8063