compiling PETSC with mvapich

Randall Mackie randy at geosystem.us
Thu Jun 28 13:50:52 CDT 2007

I am trying to build PETSC with mvapich, and in the configure step, I am getting the message

                     UNABLE to EXECUTE BINARIES for config/configure.py
Cannot run executables created with C. It is likely that you will need to configure using --with-batch which allows
configuration without interactive sessions.

So if I add the --with-batch, and then --with-mpi-shared=1, then I get the following messages:

     Since your compute nodes require use of a batch system or mpiexec you must:
  1) Submit ./conftest to 1 processor of your batch system or system you are
     cross-compiling for; this will generate the file reconfigure.py
  2) Run ./reconfigure.py (to complete the configure process).

However, using mvapich requires at least 2 processors, so I appear to be stuck.

Any advice?

Thanks, Randy

--
Randall Mackie