Memory allocated by PETSC?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 28 16:59:51 CST 2007

  Shi,

    The current algorithm used to do a MatLoad_MPIAIJ requires
memory on each process of about TWICE the memory required just for
the matrix. For example, if a matrix requires 40 megabytes total,
after it is completely loaded on 4 processes it will take about
10 megabytes on each process, BUT during MatLoad each process will
use 20 megabytes (10 for the final matrix and 10 for work space
to receive message in). This is why the total is 29 meg: 15meg for the final
matrix and around 18meg for the MatLoad.

  Barry

We could work hard and reduce the amount of memory used during the
load process if this is problem for you. We are not fans of loading
huge matrices from files so generally this is not a problem.