about Unstructured Meshes

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 09:13:23 CST 2007

On 2/23/07, Niriedith Karina <niriedith at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi !!
>
> I'm new here...and i'm new a petsc user.. :P
> I want to know if petsc has support for meshes...
> I was reading about that and i need create a mesh but all the software that
> i see are comercial ...so I use petsc for linear solver and matrices so if
> petsc create meshes it would be but easy for me  .. so..
> help me ! :D

1) PETSc does not make meshes, but there are good free meshing packages,
    Triangle in 2D and TetGen in 3D.

2) The unstructured mesh support in PETSc is very new, and at this point is
    probably only usable by expert programmers. If you feel up to it,
take a look
    at the examples in src/dm/mesh/examples/tutorials. Otherwise, you can use
    the packages above and manage the construction of Mats and Vecs yourself.