TS

Manav Bhatia manav at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 20 17:38:42 CST 2007

Hi

     I am preparing my code to use the TS capability of Petsc, and I
had a few doubts to clear up. These primarily relate to the set up of
the problem, and I have stated them below. Please correct me if I am
wrong.

-- For a linear transient problem, I understand that the following
different combinations are possible:
1>  A(t) U_t = f (t)
	where I will have to call the setLHSMatrix() and setRHSFunction()
functions during set up.
2> A(t) U_t = B(t) U
	where I will have to call the setLHSMatrix() and setRHSMatrix()
functions during set up.
3> U_t = f(t)
	where I call only the setRHSfunction()
4> U_t = A(t) U
	where I call only the setRHSMatrix()

-- For a nonlinear transient problem, I understand that the following
different combinations are possible:
1>  A(t) U_t = f (U, t)
	where I will have to call the setLHSMatrix() and setRHSFunction(),
and setRHSJacobian() functions during set up.
2> U_t = f(U, t)
	where I will have to call the setRHSfunction() and setRHSJacobian()
functions during set up.

-- setting KSP and PC types
   From what I understand, I can set up the KSP and PC type of the
transient solver, which will be used only if I specify an A matrix
for the problem. In addition, I can independently set the KSP and PC
type of the SNES used by TS, which is used by the time solver.

Kindly help me with your advice here.

Thanks,
Manav