Question regarding PCMG

TsuyoshiKoyama(berkeley) tkoyama at berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 13 19:38:43 CDT 2007

Thank you very much for the quick response. Considering the first comment,
after again looking at the Richardson KSP code  I observe the following.
Given the precondioned system,

PAx = Pb

the iteration is conducted as,

x_{n+1} = x_{n} + scale*P(b-Ax_{n})

If  one gives, NonZeroInitialGuess what happens is the following,

1) r = (b-A_x{initial guess})
2) Do the following maxit times,

    x_{new} = x_{old} + scale*Pr
    r = b - x_{new}

Thus if one sets the preconditioner Gauss-Seidel as P_{GS}, then one
iteration produces the following value of x

x_{result} = x_{initial guess} + scale*P_{GS}(b-Ax_{initial guess})

when one desires in a Gauss-Seidel smoother,

x_{result} = x_{initial guess} + (L+D)^{-1}(b - Ux_{initial guess})

where, A = L(strict lower) + D+ U(strict upper)

Does this mean that somehow Petsc internally modifies Amat in the PC
object so that Amat = P, and PC_Apply multiplies by (L+D)^{-1}? Am
I missing some detail or misunderstanding the behavior of PC?

As for the second case, the reason I might not select a coarse solver is
since I
am trying to solve a Helmholtz equation and the coarse grid solve might not
be
correct enough to apply. Thus, you may just point out that the coarse grid
should
be large enough to resolve the so called low frequency error and that if you
do so
you should still be able to solve direct, but I was curious on testing
different types
of operations at the coarsest level.

In both of the comments I know I can get around them by changing(commenting
out) the corresponding source code lines(I assume that this effect will be
minimal though I do not
know how much) but I was wondering if some other people had made similar
remarks
or questions.

Again, thank you very much.

Sincerely,