create parallel vectors (allocatable type question)

Randall Mackie randy at geosystem.us
Wed Apr 18 11:45:43 CDT 2007

I want to create a doubly-indexed MPI global vector in my Fortran code,
but I won't know the number to create until I start the program (it is
model dependent). In Fortran, I would use allocatable type statements,
and just allocate the number once known. (This is different from allocating
the length of the vector).

If I knew I wanted 5 of these, I could say:

	Vec	X(5)

And then create them later with calls to VecCreateMPI, and VecDuplicate, for
example.

In my case, I want to do something like:

	Vec 	X(:)

And then determine the number later in my code.

Is there a way to do this that I'm just overlooking? Do I just need to
use a larger number than expected, and then create only the number
of vectors actually needed later on with VecCreateMPI and VecDuplicate?

Thanks, Randy

--
Randall Mackie
GSY-USA, Inc.