Preallocation for external direct solvers

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Apr 14 16:14:03 CDT 2007

   Paul,

    This is a bug in how MatSetFromOptions() changes the type. You can
use instead
   MatConvert(J,MATAIJMUMPS,MAT_REUSE_MATRIX,J,ierr)
for now and I will investigate how the bug can be fixed.

  Another, maybe better alternative is to use
  MatCreate(comm,J,ierr)
  MatSetSizes(J,....)
  MatSetFromOptions(J,ierr)
  MatSeqAIJSetPreallocation(....)
  MatMPIAIJSetPreallocation(...)

  Sorry and thanks for reporting the problem,

   Barry

  The bug is that MatSetType() does not know that AIJMUMPS is inherited from
AIJ and hence destroys the AIJ data structure (including the preallocation
information) before creating a whole new AIJMUMPS matrix.