General matrix interative solver

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 11 10:21:57 CDT 2006

  Julian,

   If your matrix is symmetric, positive definite then you should
ALWAYS use -ksp_type cg to use the conjugate gradient method
instead of the more expensive (and unneeded) GMRES.

  Next, in testing you can/should run with -ksp_view to have the
exact solver options printed out to the screen.

  Running with -help will have it print the current solver options.

  Run with -ksp_converged_reason to see if the solver converged or
if it failed and why.

  Next you need to determine what the inhouse solver is doing and
try to set PETSc to use the same solver.

  This problem is very, very small for an iterative solver; recommend
iterative solvers only when working with, say 20,000+ unknowns (depends
on matrix conditioning, number of nonzero etcs also). For small problems
direct solver is the way to go. You can use the PETSc direct solver
with -ksp_type preonly -pc_type lu (or for symmetric positive definite
use -pc_type cholesky).

  Let us know what progress you make, it is imperative you determine
what the in house solver is using.

   Barry