symmetric matrices

Randall Mackie randy at geosystem.us
Mon May 22 10:41:16 CDT 2006

I'm trying to modify my code to take advantage of the fact that my system matrix
is symmetric.

It seemed from reading the manual pages that I could call MatCreateMPISBAIJ
to create a symmetric data matrix.

However, when I tried this, I got the error:

[1]PETSC ERROR: Lower triangular value cannot be set for sbaij format. Ignoring these value
s, run with -mat_ignore_lower_triangular or call MatSetOption(mat,MAT_IGNORE_LOWER_TRIANGUL
AR)!

So I tried including the line:

       call MatSetOption(A,MAT_IGNORE_LOWER_TRIANGULAR,ierr)

But when I tried to compile the code, I then got this message:

fortcom: Error: csem3dfwd.F, line 771: This name does not have a type, and must have an explicit type.   [MAT_IGNORE_LOWER_TRIANGULAR]
       call MatSetOption(A,MAT_IGNORE_LOWER_TRIANGULAR,ierr)

So, can anyone point me in the right direction for taking advantage of the fact that
my matrices are symmetric? (they are actually complex symmetric, and NOT Hermitian).

Thanks, Randy

--
Randall Mackie
GSY-USA, Inc.