DA periodic

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 7 07:33:36 CST 2006

  Jianing,

  There is no "by hand" in PETSc! All you do is acess the next
set of grid points to via the indices in the usual way. So
in two dimensions to access the values to the "left of x[j][0]
use x[j][-1] to the right of x[j][nx-1] use x[j][nx]. (Recall the
i,j indices are reversed in the C array syntax, nx is the total
number of grid points in the x direction). Here, as an example, I
am talking about periodic in X, same thing is true for y and z.
(If you have a stencil width of 2 you can acess via x[j][-2].

  In other words, don't think at all about the periodicity,
just write local loops over the processes domain and everything
will work!

   Barry

There is something seriously wrong with PETSc's documentation
on periodic DA's. For some reason everyone seems to think it
has to be hard.