In place ILU(0) factorization

Laslo Tibor Diosady diosady at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 3 09:05:54 CDT 2006

Hi,

I wanted to perform an in place ILU factorization with fill level of 0 (ie
ILU(0)) for a SeqBAIJ matrix. This works fine when I use a natural
ordering however when I try to use a different matrix reordering I get the
following error.

[0]PETSC ERROR: MatILUFactor_SeqBAIJ() line 1768 in
src/mat/impls/baij/seq/baij.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: Invalid argument!
[0]PETSC ERROR: Row and column permutations must be identity for in-place
ILU!
[0]PETSC ERROR: MatILUFactor() line 2107 in src/mat/interface/matrix.c

In otherwords, Petsc only supports in place ILU(0) without reordering.

The idea behind doing an in place factorization is so that I don't use
twice as much memory to store my matrix (ie the original matrix and the
ILU factored matrix).

Is in place ILU factorization with reordering going to be supported by
Petsc anytime in the near future or is there an easy work around so I can
get this to work?

Thanks,

Laslo