[petsc-dev] DMPlex overlap redistribution

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 06:48:37 CDT 2024

On Tue, Mar 12, 2024 at 10:54 PM Adrian Croucher <a.croucher at auckland.ac.nz>
wrote:

> hi Matt,
> On 13/03/24 12:46 pm, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>

> Thanks for finding this. This was indeed rewritten because the old
> algorithm was too expensive at large sizes/parallelism. The function where
> this breaks in DMPlexStratifyMigrationSF() in plexdistribute.c. The problem
> is here:
>

> https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/blob/main/src/dm/impls/plex/plexdistribute.c?ref_type=heads*L915__;Iw!!G_uCfscf7eWS!b93MXLwVh7WzmrZGtcTjZj7LmqjAhvMfOsFfAR0K2HGAYkmtYwV6tX3JQNqKgsYs1hGSy-WlP60zCRikArTs$
>
> I treat DM_POLYTOPE_INTERIOR_GHOST as a cell no matter what. We need to
> assign the interior  vertices, faces, and edges types that will give back
> the right dimension. Vertices are easy, they should just be type POINT. I
> can understand not wanting to use SEGMENT or QUAD for the interior edge and
> face because they do not have full cones. However, I think nothing will
> break (except explicit checks, which will not work anyway) if you give them
> types SEGMENT and QUAD. Is this easy to try?
>
> Great, I just tried that and it does appear to work. I had thought there
> was a reason I'd set those types to interior ghost, but it seems to be ok
> just making them point, segment and quadrilateral.
>
> It now also works even without the modification you just made to avoid
> trouble with the depth label. So that was probably a red herring after all.
>
> Great! I am glad it's working. I will find another reason to come out for
a visit :)

https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://www.cse.buffalo.edu/*knepley/__;fg!!G_uCfscf7eWS!b93MXLwVh7WzmrZGtcTjZj7LmqjAhvMfOsFfAR0K2HGAYkmtYwV6tX3JQNqKgsYs1hGSy-WlP60zCaAzLs4e$  <https://urldefense.us/v3/__http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/*knepley/__;fg!!G_uCfscf7eWS!b93MXLwVh7WzmrZGtcTjZj7LmqjAhvMfOsFfAR0K2HGAYkmtYwV6tX3JQNqKgsYs1hGSy-WlP60zCZMw_Y_w$ >