[petsc-dev] Build error with zlib

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 11:03:17 CST 2024

On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 11:47 PM Adrian Croucher <a.croucher at auckland.ac.nz>
wrote:

> hi
>
> I've just started having errors building PETSc on both my Github CI
> pipeline and on another machine, as a result of zlib failing to
> download. (I'm using the download-zlib option.) The error is:
>
> UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS    (see configure.log for details):
> Error during download/extract/detection of ZLIB:
> Unable to download package ZLIB from:
> http://www.zlib.net/zlib-1.2.11.tar.gz

> Unable to download package ZLIB from:
> http://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/petsc/externalpackages/zlib-1.2.11.tar.gz

> Unable to download package ZLIB from:
> ftp://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/petsc/externalpackages/zlib-1.2.11.tar.gz

> Unable to download package ZLIB from:
> https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/mirror/externalpackages/zlib-1.2.11.tar.gz
>
> When I test these URLs, the first one from www.zlib.net does indeed give
> a 404. But the other ones are valid. I assumed that it's trying these
> URLs in sequence until it finds one that works?
>
> I am using an older version of PETSc (3.15.5) as there is a PETSc bug in
> more recent versions that affects my project and means I can't upgrade
> until it is resolved.

Hi Adrian,

I put in a test for redistribution with overlap, Plex test ex12, test 7.
You can run it using

  make -f ./gmakefile test search="dm_impls_plex_tests-ex12_7"

and see the output in src/dm/impls/plex/tests/output/ex12_7.out. The second
DMPlexDistribute() call
is made on a mesh with overlap.

If this is not a solution, can we make a small test that goes in ex12 that
shows what is wrong?