[petsc-dev] Fwd: Request for Information: TAO: Toolkit for Advanced Optimization and PETSc

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Tue Oct 10 13:11:57 CDT 2023

   I suspect we are going to receive more of these requests as apparently all US agencies now need to do this assessment on all software that they use.

   We should try to be pro-active.

   Are there currently any web-based testing systems that run on PETSc or could run on PETSc ? We should document this on petsc.org <http://petsc.org/>

   What exactly did MOOSE do to get approval for their use of PETSc for nuclear engineering?  What about Glenn Hammond? It would be good to have this documented for reference.

   It might make sense to pay a company that does such assessments (and is certified by the US) to assess PETSc and then have that in our back pocket to make it easier for US agencies to agree to use PETSc.

   Are there subsets of PETSc that could be approved (like PETSc with Parametis ripped out) to make it easier for agencies to get approval?

   Barry