[petsc-dev] Building libCEED with -fsanitize=address

Jeremy Luke Thompson Jeremy.Thompson at colorado.edu
Tue Jun 13 10:35:59 CDT 2023

Yeah, I misunderstood. That's what I get for reading emails before coffee.

Note, there are some known ASAN issues, specifically with one of our
diagonal assembly tests, but I haven't had the time to make a good fix and
it's not used in our Ratel or fluids work at this time.

Jeremy.Thompson at colorado.edu> wrote:

>> It's probably easier to trace that sort of thing when building libCEED
on its own, but it looks like ASAN is complaining about `char
*source_path_with_name = "";`

>> Seems like an easy change I can do this morning.
>
> It is a warning. The fatal error was a link without the ASAN flag, but
somehow this is swallowed. Jacob found it.
>   Thanks,
>      Matt
>

>> On Tuesday, June 13, 2023, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > For some reason, libCEED seems broken with Address Sanitizer

>> >            UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS (see configure.log
for details):

>> >   Error running make on libceed: Could not execute
"[['/PETSc3/petsc/apple/bin/make',
>> >   '-j13', '-l24.0',
'prefix=/PETSc3/petsc/petsc-pylith/arch-pylith-debug', 'V=1',
>> >   'CC=/PETSc3/petsc/apple/bin/mpicc', 'CFLAGS= -fPIC -Wall
-Wwrite-strings
>> >   -Wno-unknown-pragmas -fstack-protector -fno-stack-check
-Qunused-arguments
>> >   -fvisibility=hidden -fsanitize=address ',
'CXX=/PETSc3/petsc/apple/bin/mpicxx',
>> >   'CXXFLAGS= -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wno-strict-aliasing
-Wno-unknown-pragmas
>> >   -fstack-protector -fno-stack-check -fvisibility=hidden
-fsanitize=address  -std=gnu++17
>> >   -fPIC ', '-B']]":
>> >
>> >   make: 'lib' with optional backends: /cpu/self/memcheck/serial
/cpu/self/memcheck/blocked
>> >   /PETSc3/petsc/apple/bin/mpicc -I./include -fPIC -Wall -Wwrite-strings
>> >   -Wno-unknown-pragmas -fstack-protector -fno-stack-check
-Qunused-arguments
>> >   -fvisibility=hidden -f
>> >   .... more output .....
>> >   mcheck/ceed-memcheck-qfunction.o
build/backends/memcheck/ceed-memcheck-qfunctioncontext.o
>> >   build/backends/memcheck/ceed-memcheck-serial.o
>> >   build/backends/memcheck/ceed-memcheck-vector.o
build/backends/ceed-backend-weak.o
>> >   build/gallery/ceed-gallery-weak.o

-lm/PETSc3/petsc/petsc-pylith/arch-pylith-debug/externalpackages/git.libceed/interface/ceed-preconditioning.c:44:9: