[petsc-dev] PETSc optimization

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Tue Aug 8 12:04:07 CDT 2023

  The space of "best" choices for optimization flags for PETSc is huge; each OS, each compiler, and each particular piece of hardware may have different "best" choices, in addition, the previous choice may not even allow compiling with any small change in any of these things. Finally particular choices may not be compatible with choices may be other packages being linked with PETSc. Hence PETSc's configure punts on trying to select a good choice (and just uses -O).  Surely this is an issue with most portable open source packages not being able to select "good" optimization flags in a portable way?

  Does the Spack system contain any infrastructure to help solve this common problem? That ensures all the packages it builds have good compatible optimization flags for the particular system?

  Barry

Perhaps the configure message you mention printed by PETSc is inappropriate for Spack builds of PETSc and we should print something different to help guide the user to the correct Spack solution to the issue?