[petsc-dev] Branches with additional features

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 30 13:32:18 CDT 2017

   Yeah, you have a valid point we really need a MatCreateDense() and a MatCreateDenseWithArray() like we have for vectors.

    If we simply had a null array to indicate don't allocate space then uses would ALWAYS need to allocate the space themselves and pass it in which is annoying because most of the time users want PETSc to allocate the array.

   In your case can't you create the matrix with the "first" array from the other code and then after that use MatDensePlaceArray()? Then MatCreateDense() would not allocate any unneeded space.

   Barry