[petsc-dev] MatAssembly, debug, and compile flags

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 16 15:37:17 CDT 2017

> On Mar 16, 2017, at 10:57 AM, Pierre Jolivet <pierre.jolivet at enseeiht.fr> wrote:
>
> Thanks Barry.
> I actually tried the application myself with my optimized build + your option. I'm attaching two logs for a strong scaling analysis, if someone could spend a minute or two looking at the numbers I'd be really grateful:
> 1) MatAssembly still takes a rather long time IMHO. This is actually the bottleneck of my application. Especially on 1600 cores, the problem here is that I don't know if the huge time (almost a 5x slow-down w.r.t. the run on 320 cores) is due to MatMPIAIJSetPreallocationCSR (which I assumed beforehand was a no-op, but which is clearly not the case looking at the run on 320 cores) or the the option -pc_bjacobi_blocks 320 which also does one MatAssembly.

    There is one additional synchronization point in the MatAssemblyEnd that has not/cannot be removed. This is the construction of the VecScatter; I think that likely explains the huge amount of time there.

> 2) The other bottleneck is MatMult, which itself calls VecScatter. Since the structure of the matrix is rather dense, I'm guessing the communication pattern should be similar to an all-to-all. After having a look at the thread "VecScatter scaling problem on KNL", would you also suggest me to use -vecscatter_alltoall, or do you think this would not be appropriate for the MatMult?

   Please run with

   -vecscatter_view ::ascii_info

 this will give information about the number of messages and sizes needed in the VecScatter. To help decide what to do next.

  Barry