[petsc-dev] Using multiple mallocs with PETSc

Richard Mills richardtmills at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 16:45:13 CDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

> Richard Mills <richardtmills at gmail.com> writes:

> corresponding

> >> mallocs.
> >>
> >> Meh, the proposal has more storage overhead than malloc().
> >>

> > I was bored or something, so I actually looked into how people who want
> > track all the allocations inside a special malloc() do so, and it seems
> > that plenty of people use a red-black tree for this (balanced binary
> tree,
> > O(log(n) for search, insert/delete, and tree rearrangement) rather than a
> > hash table.  This is getting pretty far down in the weeds... but this
> would
> > have less storage overhead than a hash table.  Just FYI. =)
>
> Tcmalloc has an overhead of 1% for common usage patterns when allocating
> 8-byte objects.  A tree is much higher overhead.

But I'm not talking about doing the same thing as a malloc implementation:
we aren't trying to do things like keep track of the "free" list, just what
free() to use for a given allocation.  And to keep this overhead down, we
might consider having something like a normal PetscMalloc() and a
PetscMallocNumeric() that is just used to allocate arrays for things like
vectors and matrices -- the things that we think might be bandwidth
critical and may need to support different allocators or be considered for
migration between memory types.  There aren't going to be tons of objects
you'd allocated with PetscMallocNumeric, so the storing all these addresses
and a corresponding free() should have very little overhead.

--Richard