[petsc-dev] Using multiple mallocs with PETSc

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 21:45:56 CST 2017

> I started to play with memkind last summer. At that time, there were
> plenty of sayings online like this:
> "the *hbwmalloc* interface is stable but *memkind* interface is only
> partially stable."

If you want the most stable interface, just use libnuma.  It took me less
than a day to reimplement hbwmalloc.h on top of libnuma and dlmalloc (
https://github.com/jeffhammond/myhbwmalloc).  Note that myhbwmalloc was an
education exercise, not software that I actually think anyone should use.
It is intentionally brittle (fast or fail - nothing in between).

One consequence of using libnuma to manage MCDRAM is that one can call
numa_move_pages, which Jed has asserted is the single most important
function call in the history of memory management ;-)

Jeff

--
Jeff Hammond
jeff.science at gmail.com