[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] Multigrid with defect correction

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 6 09:45:28 CST 2017

> [...]
> >
> > How would this work when the PCMG is deeply nested and you want to
> > rediscretize on coarse grids?
>
>     So, for example, a PCFIELDSPLIT with a PCMG on one of the fields.
>
>     Good point, but I don't think anyone can actually do this now without having Jed hold our hand and write more obscure hook code. (And any design that requires the knowledge of a single guru is not a good design).
>
>  PCFieldSplitSetDefaults() does have the possibility of calling DMCreateFieldDecomposition() or DMCreateSubDM() but, for example, neither DMCreateSubDM_DA() nor DMCreateFieldDecomposition_DA() know anything about DMKSP so the subDM that would be associated with the PCMG cannot do rediscretize since it won't know what functions to use, in addition the subdomain doesn't get the "field" of the "current solution" that needs to be linearized around. It looks like DMCreateFieldDecomposition() and or DMCreateSubDM() need have hooks added for them, (there are currently subdomain, refine, and coarsen hooks, but none for "fields"). Even with the addition of the hooks there is no API for the user to provide a "linearize on a particular field" to SNES to  be passed down through the hooks; so that has to added. What about linearization on a particular field of a particular field for when PCFIELDSPLIT is used inside a PCFIELDSPLIT, etc, how are we going to support that generally?
>
>  Backing up to the case that is supported, PCMG, note that SNESSetUpMatrices() has the code
>   {
>     KSP ksp;
>     ierr = SNESGetKSP(snes,&ksp);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>     ierr = KSPSetComputeOperators(ksp,KSPComputeOperators_SNES,snes);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>     ierr = DMCoarsenHookAdd(snes >dm,DMCoarsenHook_SNESVecSol,DMRestrictHook_SNESVecSol,snes);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>   }
>
> so SNES essentially knows about PCMG already; true it doesn't loop over the levels directly and compute the "current solution", that is handled by the DMRestrictHook_SNESVecSol, but is it really so different? It is in the snes.c file. SNES knows about the PCMG pattern! Are we going to have to "teach" SNES the same kind of thing for the other more complicated situations like a PCFIELDSPLIT with a PCMG, with tons of specific hooks for the different situations?
>
> I find the use of the hooks and DMGetDMKSPWrite() stuff already confusing and yet we still only do a very simple case with it. How can we manage the complexity once we use it more generally?
>

> Perhaps the solution is to deprecate the KSPSetOperators, SNESSetFunction, SNESSetJacobian, TSSetIFunction etc and instead directly use DMKSPSetComputeOperators(); you need to remind me again why you need to have a DMKSP instead of just putting the function pointers into the DM? Would this vastly simplify things?
>
> The DMSNES and friends are the parts that are solver specific, since a given DM can be associated with several solvers.

   No, that is not the reason they exist. Every DM actually contains its DMKSP, DMSNES, and DMTS so at any point in time a DM can actually have only one DMXXX. We had arguments over sharing DM with multiple solvers but I think that is a goofy optimization.

> That is why the resolution-dependent information can go there. You could have stuck all that info in the solver I guess, but perhaps Jed has a good reason not to do that (maybe to make it easier to pass around, or maybe extensible to different DMs).

   Hmm, since PC/KSP/SNES/TS know about DM why don't we just stick that information in the solver. Seems simpler, there must be some reason.