[petsc-dev] Problem with petsc.pc when configured with --with-single-library=0

Garth N. Wells gnw20 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Mar 5 03:24:08 CST 2017

On 5 March 2017 at 06:15, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
> "Garth N. Wells" <gnw20 at cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
>>> How do you ensure that you find the correct shared versus static
>>> libraries?  Does the above really work for static?
>>>

>> Yes, as far as I've tested. The complication is that a user code that
>> links to library A, where library A links to PETSc, needs a
>> find_package(PETSc) call in the user CMake file.
>
> You must admit that "complication" is Trump-level insanity.  Should
> linking to PETSc require the caller to find_package(every transitive
> dependency of PETSc)?  Only a user that *calls* PETSc themselves should
> need to know about PETSc to link.

We need this search for PETSc because we expose PETSc in the public
interface - users can call PETSc themselves. Most dependencies do not
appear in the public interface, in which case a user doesn't need to
to worry about them when building their own application.

Jed, I'm not going to debate the topic. I'm not knowledgable enough,
or interested enough in the details. My original message was that
PETSc.pc was broken, and I'm grateful that it's been fixed. I do think
a good PETSc.pc file would be helpful to users.

Garth

 Any package/configuration system that