[petsc-dev] snes/ex56 target is gone

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Jun 28 15:48:02 CDT 2017

>> On Jun 28, 2017, at 2:35 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
>>
>> Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>>
>>>   Jed,
>>>
>>>    Aside from its name and location this is a very useful thing. Should it be in $PETSC_DIR/lib/petsc/conf/ ? since it cannot stay in $PETSC_DIR for --prefix installs?
>>
>> I guess that's a reasonable location.  The file isn't platform-dependent
>> so it could go elsewhere.
>
> I don't understand. This directory is platform-independent. There is
> also a $PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH/lib/petsc/conf ; the two directories get
> merged in a prefix install.

What matters is the layout when you install.  The lib directory contains
platform-dependent stuff while other directories (include, share) should
not.  So this could go in share, but it is logically closer to the
platform-dependent stuff that has been going in lib so that's fine with
me.

>>  In that location, it should acquire a line
>> specifying PETSC_ARCH upon install.
>
>    You mean in a prefix install? There is no PETSC_ARCH in prefix installs.

If someone gives a path to a prefix install, I would say the behavior
should not depend on stale crud that might be floating in the PETSC_ARCH
environment variable.