[petsc-dev] perhaps where the custom adapativity perversity began

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Apr 30 10:52:30 CDT 2017

> On Apr 30, 2017, at 4:50 AM, Lisandro Dalcin <dalcinl at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 30 April 2017 at 07:08, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
>> The error estimation requires storage of extra vectors and the
>> implementation was broken.  For whatever reason, Shri wanted TSTheta to
>> use TSADAPTNONE by default and probably thought it would be better to
>> have an explicit option than to overwrite it.  I don't see the point in
>> litigating what was running through his head at the time.  But we see
>> similar patterns frequently, where something doesn't really work and
>> there are some hacks to make up for it.  The problem is that those hacks
>> aren't removed even if the fundamental problem is fixed.

   I don't completely understand what you are saying but here is may take:

   TSAdapt is not just for "good" adaptors it is for all adaptors, so one should not introduce any constructs "on the side" of TSAdapt like -ts_theta_adapt ; If TSAdapt needs to be refactored to handle some other adaptors then that is where the action should be. To expect people to know about -ts_adapt   plus a bunch of -ts_theta/alpha/beta_adapt flags is not fair to users.