[petsc-dev] PETSC_DIR and PETSC_ARCH: used to distinguish between multiple applications ?

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sun Apr 23 22:21:29 CDT 2017

Kevin Buckley <kevin.buckley.ecs.vuw.ac.nz at gmail.com> writes:

> Been a while since I have(re)installed a PETSc, but I have just
> come into install it as a dependecy for a different package to
> that for which I have installed it in the past.
>
> The original package has a requirement for
>
>   --with-clanguage=cxx
>
> whereas the current one doesn't,

The option above only pertains to how PETSc itself is compiled.  The
public interface is the same either way; no package should care how
PETSc was built.

> but it does have a requirement for different external packages, eg
> hypre.

There is no harm in including all external packages that you might need.

> In terms of laying out PETSc, can (should ?) one use PETSC_DIR
> and PETSC_ARCH: to combine everything PETSc-related under one,
> top-level, say
>
> /path/to/PETSC/3.7.5

No, you can only install one configuration to a given prefix.  Note that
when you do a "prefix install" (./configure
--prefix=/path/to/PETSc/3.7.5), there is no PETSC_ARCH once you have
installed.  And you can't have two conflicting configurations in the
same prefix, so you probably need a schema something like below (if you
really need multiple configurations, which you may not).