[petsc-dev] WSL upgrade

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 13 13:23:29 CDT 2017

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017, Jed Brown wrote:

> >> The new blog claims that sshd works now, so it
> >> must be possible to set up a Windows machine/VM so that we can ssh into
> >> a bash shell.  That would vastly simplify the task of reproducing
> >> Windows oddities.
> >
> > I'll have to check on that. From what I can recollect - a separate WSL
> > would be required for each user - and the user account system is
> > separate on WSL from windows accounts. So I wonder how sshd access
> > would work. [and then figuring out how to get cl working via ssh]
>
> We could make a petsc account and add our ssh keys, like we have done on
> some other machines.

https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/612
https://wsl-forum.qztc.io/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10

There is quiet a bit of info there - it all looks hakey right
now. [sshd is a user process - so the user has to be always logged in
- and running sshd via 'bash application']

And then there is 'ubuntu' account to maintain - and a different
passwd to remember - each time any one of us needs to install ubuntu
pacakges [with sudo] - so shared passwds?.

I think its better to setup separate windows accounts (which requires
a separate WSL for each user) - and use rdesktop (over sshd).

But if you prefer ssh - I'll create a petsc account - and then run
sshd from it for you.

Satish