[petsc-dev] WSL upgrade

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 13 09:27:03 CDT 2017

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017, Jed Brown wrote:

> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
> > I'm on the new one. (version 1703, buid: 15063.138)
> >>
> >>   Windows <-> Linux Interop
> >>
> >> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/04/11/windows-10-creators-update-whats-new-in-bashwsl-windows-console/
> >>

> > Notice the path (/mnt/c/temp) - its Windows FS - not WSL FS. That
> > works fine [as I mentioned earlier with my example usage]
>
> Oh, well if all the Linux tools work for Windows paths then you could
> just build on a Windows path?  That would seem natural if you're trying
> to create a Windows-native build.

Sure - and all build tools have to do that [i.e override /tmp usage by
configure with TMPDIR etc..]

I'm just counteracting the notation [which I think is implicit in such discussions]
- WSL is here - so its time to dump cygwin [ => cygwin is bad; WSL is good]
- cygwin is hard - but WSL is easy
etc..

We should view is as another additional system that we plan to support
[with its own quirks] - and requires similar amount of work.. [Chris
spent considerable amount of time coming up with win32fe]

Satish