[petsc-dev] WSL upgrade

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Apr 12 21:44:15 CDT 2017

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> On Wed, 12 Apr 2017, Jed Brown wrote:
>
>> WSL can now run Windows executables from bash (and vice-versa).  Is this
>> now a viable way to create a Windows native build?
>>
>> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/04/11/windows-10-creators-update-whats-new-in-bashwsl-windows-console/
>
> We'll still need a win32fe equivalent functionality somewhere..

Understood.  I'm not trying to deal with that just now, but I would very
much like to see a native Windows build without using cygwin.

> Also Note:
> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2016/10/19/interop-between-windows-and-bash/
> "Windows apps should NOT be used to open files in the Linux filesystem"

That blog is six months old and can't still apply considering that the example has

  echo hello > hello.txt
  notepad.exe hello.txt

> BTW: builds with ubuntu gcc goes through fine - but 'make alltest' randomly hangs..

Where are you running?  The new blog claims that sshd works now, so it
must be possible to set up a Windows machine/VM so that we can ssh into
a bash shell.  That would vastly simplify the task of reproducing
Windows oddities.