[petsc-dev] Hardware counter logging in PETSc (was Re: Where next with PETSc and KNL?)

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 19:39:25 CDT 2016

The so called "perfect cache" model in my paper
<http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10915-016-0250-5>, which was
counted by hand, only works for solvers and preconditioners which rely on
sparse matrix-vector multiply. I reluctantly used ILU in the first part of
the paper for that very reason. It can certainly be improved by looking at
distance in memory between references, but I don't know of any such model
for sparse matrix-matrix multiplication, which is important for the better
preconditioners.

I also like the idea of having a model which counts these metrics by hand
since it's easily portable, but unless someone has some robust algorithm or
technique for counting the total bytes transferred for MatMatMult()
operations and its relatives, this performance model won't really be that
useful.