[petsc-dev] exascale applications and PETSc usefulness

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 17:05:20 CDT 2016

QMCPACK doesn't use any linear algebra solvers.

NWChemEx will likely focus on dense solvers or sparse collections of dense
blocks.  If NWChemEx uses sparse matrices, the dominant operation will be
sparse matrix times sparse matrix multiplication and sparse matrix
diagonalization.

The Ergo project uses sparse linear algebra for quantum chemistry but they
implement everything themselves.  http://www.ergoscf.org/publications.php
has details.  Same for FreeON (
http://www.nongnu.org/freeon/Publications.html).

Jeff