[petsc-dev] keeping track of work and its projects

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Oct 25 21:47:11 CDT 2016

>    PETSc developers,
>
>      This message is mostly directed at petsc-developers at ANL but could be useful for everyone.
>
>      It is sometimes useful to track for what project and how much
>      time is spent on particular commits in PETSc. If you add a file
>      called .gitmessage in your home directory it is automatically
>      included in the message when you do a git commit.

I believe you need to do

  git config commit.template ~/.gitmessage

to get this behavior.  You can use --global if you want it in all your
repositories.

>      I suggest putting the following in your .gitmessage file
>

> Funded-by:
> Project:
> Time:
> Reported-by:
> Thanks-to:
>
> then when you write your git commit message you can delete the lines that are not relevant and put in information that is relevant. This can help us track and justify the work done under various funded projects. If you don't know what funded by or project to list just ask.
>
> Make the time in decimals of an hour for easy post processing, for example .2 hours. Reported-by: is for bug reports mostly while Thanks-to: is for feature requests or suggestions on how to do things better.

Barry, if you want this to be machine readable, I would suggest listing
out all the relevant grants and projects that you can think of so that
they are spelled the same way each time.  (The developer deletes all the
others on the line when editing the commit message.)