[petsc-dev] Possible error running C/C++ src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex19 with 1 MPI process

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Mon Oct 10 19:09:13 CDT 2016

>   Funny, I thought Jed said I stripped out all the PAPI stuff? Maybe I
>   should really strip it out, has not been used in years and as Jed
>   says it has Jack's slimeprints on it.

I haven't touched it.  Looks like you added it in 2009.  I think we had
a mailing list thread on it around that time.

Counting flops with hardware counters is really error-prone on current
hardware.  I don't think we should ever trust it for linear algebra.  It
would perhaps be handy for people implementing their physics and
discretizations, but the numbers may vary widely based on compiler/flag
choices.