[petsc-dev] strangness in Chebyshev estimate of eigenvalues

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sat May 21 20:58:20 CDT 2016

On Fri, 20 May 2016, Mark Adams wrote:

> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > Mark,
> >
> > $ git log --merges origin/mark/snes-ex56c --oneline |grep mark/snes-ex56c
> > 27d400f Merge branch 'master' of bitbucket.org:petsc/petsc into
> > mark/snes-ex56c
> > f3dabe8 Merge branch 'master' of bitbucket.org:petsc/petsc into
> > mark/snes-ex56c
> > 1df2bc2 Merge branch 'master' of bitbucket.org:petsc/petsc into
> > mark/snes-ex56c
> > a003960 Merge branch 'master' of bitbucket.org:petsc/petsc into
> > mark/snes-ex56c
> >

> > Any perticular reason why you need to constantly merge master to this
> > branch?

> I have been getting tied up with this because I do part of something or
> Matt does and it is not in master and I don't want to wait. I cherry-pick
> and merge a lot in this process.
>
> Here I just pull from master to get up to date.  I guess I don't have to do
> it that often as it clutters the history.

Merging what you need (or rebasing over it) is fine. But sounds like
you are not doing that.

Firstly - if you need Matt's stuff (requiring a merge) - that implies
the feature is not yet complete. So it should not be merged to next
[until the feature is complete]

But if 'Matt does and it is not in master' - then surly merging
'master' would not help?

Just wanted to make sure that you are not merging 'master' when you
don't need it.

Satish