[petsc-dev] NEVER put // into PETSc code. PETSc is C89, the only real C.

C Bergström cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Wed Jun 22 17:53:35 CDT 2016

Sorry I can't help, but +1 troll on this...

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com> wrote:
> Serious question:
>
> What are your reasons for using a language that is 27 years old?  Terrible
> compilers that have not been compliant with the current ISO C for 16 years?
> Because MPICH does it?

Jeff - I work for a horrible, truly terrible compiler company
(sarcasm) and empathetically (sincerely) I don't think MSVC supports
C99. So just taking a random guess that it could be part of the
justification to maintain that level of compatibility.

My 2nd guess would be someone really *loves* their SPARC workstation...