[petsc-dev] asm / gasm

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Wed Jun 22 07:51:02 CDT 2016

I'm trying to get block smoothers to work for gamg.  We (Garth) tried this
and got this error:

 - Another option is use '-pc_gamg_use_agg_gasm true' and use
> '-mg_levels_pc_type gasm'.

Running in parallel, I get

     ** Max-trans not allowed because matrix is distributed
 ----

First, what is the difference between asm and gasm?

Second, I need to fix this to get block smoothers. This used to work.  Did
we lose the capability to have blocks that span processor subdomains?

gamg only aggregates across processor subdomains within one layer, so maybe
I could use one layer of overlap in some way?

Thanks,
Mark