[petsc-dev] Possible Givens Project

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 20:34:07 CST 2016

Some parts of SNES need real help.

1) NGMRES is purely serial

This just requires a parallel TSQR. We could just write it, since I was
trying to avoid
a hard dependency on Elemental until Jack has a Damascene conversion and
rewrites
it in C using regular make, but that is a game-time decision.

2) NASM needs to really work

It needs to be rewritten, generalized, and streamlined so that it can do
everything that
student of Xiao-Chuan are currently doing by hand. This seems like the most
important
thing to me.

3) The internals are a mess

I have a branch knepley/snes-rewrite that completely reworks the internals
and I think
makes them much easier to understand and maintain. This project would
mostly be
getting the tests in a state that switching over made sense.