[petsc-dev] Not possible to do a VecPlaceArray for veccusp

Karl Rupp rupp at iue.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Feb 28 03:45:36 CST 2016

Hi,

> I like the idea of having separate VECCUDA and VECVIENNACL, because it is possible to implement VECCUDA without dependence on a C++ compiler (only the CUDA compiler).

I don't understand this part. NVCC also requires a C++ host compiler and
is fairly picky about the supported compilers.

> If you want, we can prepare a rough initial implementation of VECCUDA in the next days, and we can later discuss what to keep/discard.

Any contributions are welcome :-)

> Karl: regarding the time constraints, our idea is to present something at a conference this summer, and deadlines are approaching.

Ok, this is on fairly short notice considering the changes required. I
recommend to start with copying the CUSP sources and migrate it over to
VECCUDA by replacing any use of cusp::array1d to a raw CUDA handle.
Operations from CUSP should be replaced by CUBLAS calls.

Best regards,
Karli