[petsc-dev] VecScatter problem

Abbott, Stephen R. abbottsr at ornl.gov
Thu Aug 25 17:01:26 CDT 2016

>> If there was an error then you should have seen PETSc output to that effect.  Could you have missed that?

I don’t see any error show up in the output, and the run continues happily even with the error checks in place, so I don’t think that’s it.

>> You should definitely add these error check, but that gets rid of the error!

I agree completely, they should be there. I would be much more comfortable if just putting them in didn’t solve the error I put them in to look for..

>> Could this be a compiler error?

We’re using the PGI compiler, and I’ve tried it with versions 16.5 (with your PETSc builds) and 15.10 (with the cray-petsc-3.7 build) and seen the same problem. But, yes, this could definitely be a compiler error. I’m rebuilding the code with optimizations disabled to run the memory checking, so I’ll have a chance to see if maybe the compiler is making a mistake there.

Does PETSc’s logging count VecScatter calls and messages passed? Maybe I can look at the logs and compare counts for a working run to a broken run and see if those last two scatters are getting optimized out.

--steve