[petsc-dev] coding style

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 16 19:03:07 CDT 2016

> On Aug 16, 2016, at 6:09 PM, Munson, Todd <tmunson at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>

> Is there a reason to put flags into PETSc for linear or nonlinear equations?  In PETSc
> there is a natural difference between linear (KSP) and nonlinear (SNES) that is
> reflected in the objects.

   The flags are for TS ODE solvers (not KSP or SNES); they can come into play for two reasons

1) whether Jacobian entries can be changed inside the solver or not (for nonlinear ODES they can usually be changed since the user provides new values at each Jacobian update; for linear the user won't normally be putting in the same values again so if the solver changes the values it has to have some way to recover the values; often but not always the changes are only on the diagonal). Note that this reason is JUST a question of optimizing memory and code (do you make a copy of matrices or not?), not correctness of results.

2) There may also be specialized ODE integrator only worked for a linear problem. (I don't know if we have any of those implemented or not). This is not just a question of optimizing the solver, it is a question of correctness. If I try to solve a nonlinear problem with a linear only solver I will get a wrong or meaningless answer.

  Similarly I think for TAO both reasons for wanting to know properties of the problem exist.

> Any thoughts on splitting up the TAO methods in a similar way and distinguish at
> least between between quadratic and general nonlinear problems, rather than
> putting in flags.  This would be consistent with the rest of PETSc.
>
> For example, instead of having a single "bound" directory, having something
> like a "bco" directory for generic nonlinear bound-constrained optimization
> and a "bqp" directory for bound constrained quadratic programs.
>
> I'd do the same for "unconstrained" into "uco" and "uqp".
>
> General constraints then become more cumbersome with too many combinations.
> Could probably get by with generic "lp", "qp", and "nlp" though.

  If you did this for the TAO user API then one could argue it should be done for TS also.  But I don't think it should be done for TS.

   Two reasons for not having a separate API for linear and nonlinear problems is

1) I may want to use a "nonlinear" ODE integrator (that is an integrator that works for nonlinear problems also) on my linear problem and I shouldn't need to have ifs if my code to switch to use it.  That is I don't want ugly code like

   if (using nonlinear integrator) {
      TSSetIJacobian(..)
   } else {
       TSSetConstantMatrix(...)
   }
   Now I could also have my "nonlinear integrators" support the TSSetConstantMatrix() API but that leads to more complex implementations that are more work to maintain. Why not just have something like
      TSSetIJacobian(ts, J,TSConstantJacobianFunction()) when you are doing a linear ODE?

2) I may spend 3 months writing my linear ODE problem using the linear interface and then realize I have to add a nonlinear term, now I have to change my app use the nonlinear interface of TS. This is why Matt argues we should just publicly support the SNES api even for linear problems.

   Dealing with changing or not changing matrices has another issue we have not dealt with properly in PETSc (or TAO). When the matrix entries are set. For linear ODE problems we kind of assume the matrix entries are set by the user before they ever call the TS code (and many users think this is a natural way to proceed), so essentially they compute the J matrix up front and then pass it to the TS which uses it. For nonlinear problems, of course, we cannot set the matrix entries up front, they MUST be set in the callback that TS calls to compute the matrix entries. But if the matrix structure is provided internally by a DM then the user does not have direct access to the matrix before calling TSSolve() so even for linear problems the code logic more naturally wants the (constant) Jacobian to be computed at the first timestep computation (and never again) rather than up front. Using the Matt Knepley consistency/simplicity argument we should just always use the callback approach and not even "support" the "linear only" approach. Then comes the nasty linear "flag" to indicate 1) if the user intends to provide the matrix only once and 2) to indicate the problem has special (linear) structure that only certain solvers will work correctly on.

I'm rambling a bit but I need to in order to make clear these kind of design decisions are not straightforward.

   In terms of organizing the implementation code and the names (TaoType) of the methods I think spitting them into categories makes good sense. But never with your horrible abbreviations that no one but you would be able to remember! We are not using Fortran IV with 6 char limits.

   Before doing anything let's try to generate a table that includes all (most of?)  the cases.

    The function being optimized is linear, quadratic, or general (another case is separable).

    The equality constraints are linear?, quadratic? general?  or something else?

     The inequality constraints are simple bounds? linear? quadratic? general? something else?

     Is there a fourth (or even more) axis of problem properties?

    Is this level of categories enough to organize the directories and naming of TAO solvers?

  Barry