[petsc-dev] git repo branches housekeeping

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 25 13:21:05 CDT 2016

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016, Jed Brown wrote:

> Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I just get
> >
> > maint $:/PETSc3/petsc/petsc-dev$ git branch --merged v3.7
> > git branch --merged v3.7
> >   knepley/feature-configuration-callbacks
> >
> > which is the one branch I have leftover here. Is that what I am supposed to
> > get?

Only one branch? Perhaps you were doing housekeeping regularly
[deleting local feature branches after they were merged to master]
Also this one appears to be an intermediate branch that was never
pushed to remote - but was perhaps merged to a different feature
branch - and then to master]

> Yes.  I had a few others because I hadn't cleaned up recently.  If you
> had been testing every PR, you would have had something like the full
> list that Satish mentioned.

The full list was the list of branches I deleted on the
server. Locally I have only a fraction of the branches [all of my
branches (some local/temporary), and a few of other developer branches
to which I might have pushed fixes for].

Here is the small list of local branches that I deleted from my clone.

$ cat branches_to_delete
  balay/add-KSPComputeRitz-patch
  balay/add-clang-sa-build
  balay/add-fortran-DMRemoveLabel
  balay/configure-pkg-git-autoupdate
  balay/el-parmetis-check
  balay/el_AxpyInterface_removal
  balay/fix-externalpackage-build-shared
  balay/fix-fortran-unused_variables
  balay/fix-streams-npmax
  balay/git-externalpackage-update
  balay/improve-odpes
  balay/superlu_dist-4.3
  balay/superlu_dist-4.3-p1
  balay/to-maint-add-mpiuni_mpi_in_place
  balay/to-maint-metis-parmetis-nocxx
  balay/update-elemental-0.86-pre
  balay/update-gmake-check
  balay/update-metis-xcode-fix-to-maint
  balay/update-mpich-3.2
  balay/update-superlu_dist_mar-16-294e2d0
  barry/download-pflowtran
  barry/downloads
  barry/fix-dmnetworkcomponentalignment
  barry/monitor-fromoptions