[petsc-dev] plans for PETSc release

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sun Apr 24 16:28:02 CDT 2016

>    Is it really crucial that all the packages that depend on PETSc
>    have to make their releases exactly when PETSc makes a release?

Definitely not.  They make releases when it works for them, or not (some
projects don't make releases).  The point is that they have a chance to
test their development branch with PETSc's RC (i.e., 'master' during
feature freeze).  Yeah, they could test any time, but if new features
that they don't know/care about are continually coming into PETSc, there
is no motivation to test now versus next week or next month.  And I
realize most probably won't pay attention, but I think the odds of
checking an RC is much higher for people that have contributed to PETSc.