[petsc-dev] plans for PETSc release

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sun Apr 24 16:11:30 CDT 2016

>    There is still no excuse for not during regular testing
>    there. Maybe not daily but at least once a week and automating it
>    as much as possible. For example I can envision each Wednesday
>    morning at 9 am Satish receiving an email that says: Log into
>    mira.alcf.anl.gov and run the script testmira to start the test
>    build. Then that script runs all the compiles and ships off to the
>    dashboard all results without requiring further actions by a
>    human. Each Thursday Jason gets a similar email for hopper etc. It
>    is not perfect but it is better than someone manually doing tests
>    when they are inspired. The timing of these pseudo automated
>    testing could be increased around releases.

That would improve reliability, but it doesn't exist yet and given an
open dev community assumption, will never cover all such machines.  For
example, we've gotten substantial contributions from Europe during this
release cycle.  Those developers have packages that depend on PETSc, but
may not have updated in the final days before an (vaguely announced)
release.  Not all of them will test if we announce a feature freeze, but
some probably will.  After all, it means a lot to their users to have an
easy install and be functional with the latest PETSc.