[petsc-dev] plans for PETSc release

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 15:08:33 CDT 2016

On 24 April 2016 at 22:48, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>> On the other hand, a feature freeze for a week is a perfect opportunity for improving documentation and other work that will not break the code. And even if one prefers to keep coding, new features can still be put in next for testing. Particularly if communicated in advance ("Hey, we will have a feature freeze in 7 days and plan to release in 10 days"), people can easily arrange things. I think Lisandro's feature would have been ready on time if he had known 7 days in advance.
>
>    Nonsense, he knew weeks ahead.

Dear Barry, your comments are a bit unfair. I've been working hard the
last two months to get my features in. However, in the process of
developing them, I found many issues in the TS interface as well as
implementation that needed proper fixing before adding my stuff. I
could be an irresponsible guy, and just put my crap in, add hacks here
and there as needed to get my stuff work as I want, and do not care at
all about all the cleanup and refactoring that was required. It was
not easy, I had to touch many pieces that interact each other, in the
process I broke the builds more than once as you likely remember. And
still there are things that should be fixed or done better.

At this point, if PETSc 3.7.0 has to be released because of political
issues, and we will accept adding new forward-compatible APIs in
3.7.1, then that's fine with me. It is not my intention to delay the
release or put you in the pressure of accepting my new features if
that does not convince you. If you guys decide that adding APIs in
3.7.1 is not acceptable, then I'll be a little bit disappointed, but
is not the end of the world, I should be able to live with that :-)

--
Lisandro Dalcin

4700 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
al-Khawarizmi Bldg (Bldg 1), Office # 0109
Thuwal 23955-6900, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
http://www.kaust.edu.sa

Office Phone: +966 12 808-0459