[petsc-dev] RDict.log

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 21 16:08:47 CDT 2016

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

> Satish and Barry, two quick questions:
>
> * Shouldn't RDict.log be stored in
> $PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH/lib/petsc/conf and symlinked to $PETSC_DIR,
> just like configure.log and make.log?

Yes - and I don't think we need the link for it.

> * Do we really need to keep the configure.log.bkp (actually, any
> *.log.bkp) symlink? If all logs go to $PETSC_ARCH/lib/petsc/conf,
> these *.log.bkp seems unnecessary clutter to me.

There was a time - when we wanted to look at all the previous failed
(configure) attempts the user invoked to understand the current problem - so we would
concatinate to configure.log [instead of replacing it on each configure invocation]

Obviously it had its drawbacks - so .log.bkp was a way of keeping the previous log
[to look at if needed] - and configure.log was recreated each time.

Perhaps *.log.bkp are not needed anymore - and we can get rid of them now.

The links for configure.log and make.log cause other issues [links
don't work on windows native tools aka mailers, simultaneous build in
different PETSC_ARCH can still conflict on these files]. But its still
good to have for most users.

With configure.log getting much bigger now - we should compress it by default now..

Satish