[petsc-dev] PETSc blame digest

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 7 12:17:31 CDT 2016

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> Thanks for the patch. I can add it in.
>
> Wrt TSAdaptCheckStage() - there is one more warning - its associated
> with lines Jed changed - so you didn't see this.

Well, it's caused by his change and it does appear to change the
semantics.  When I wrote the code, scale_solve_failed was associated
with a solver failing.  With the change, it is associated with any
reason that the stage is rejected.  Does that make sense?  If so, the
name needs to be changed to reflect what it actually does.  If not, we
need a possibly-different scaling.

Also, when we exceed ts->max_snes_failures, the user will now see one
line saying the number of failures is greater than the max allowed
followed by a line saying the step is being retried, and then it won't
be retried.  It's clearly a bug with Pierre's patch.