[petsc-dev] I have a question about PETSc example.

Jung, Ki Won KiWon.Jung at pnnl.gov
Thu May 28 20:06:25 CDT 2015

Dear Barry,

Thank you for forwarding this e-mail to other users.

Regarding the version of PETSc, we would not adhere to a specific version of PETSc as you suggested. The only reason why PETSc 3.2p6 has been used for studying and evaluating another code (2D Helmholtz) because it utilizes 3.2p6. However, since it is a non-native PETSc code and does not work as it should be, I and my colleague do not need to stick to 3.2p6.

As you mentioned, by Helmholtz equation, I meant the equation that you showed:
-delta u - sigma1*u + i*sigma2*u = f,
where sigma1 would be roughly k^2 (i.e., by ignoring -alpha^2) and sigma2 would be 2*k*alpha. u, alpha, and k are the acoustic pressure, the absorption coefficient, and the wavenumber, respectively. Assuming that the frequency range that we are interested in lies between 100 and 1000 Hz, sigma1 would be between 0.175 and 1.754E1 (i.e., assuming the speed of sound is 1500 m/s). I haven't calculated sigma2, but it would be much smaller than sigma1 due to the fact that alpha is much smaller than k. Another thing to be noted is that what we are trying to do is to incorporate the speed of sound profile as a function of position for the problem.

For now, we are not thinking about any interaction of sound with ocean bottom yet, although it is near a shoreline. Except the shoreline, all the sides would be open boundary condition by using radiating boundary condition such as PML. The top should be the pressure release boundary condition (i.e., the acoustic pressure would be zero at the surface) and the bottom could be a rigid boundary condition due to lack of density information in the equation. However, all of these are vague ideas for now and could be changed in the future.

Please let me know if something is missing.

Thank you,

Ki Won